Apart from the wonderful community upliftment organisations The Silo supports, we are also committed to the following ongoing sustainability initiatives:
STIMULATING LOCAL BUSINESSES
- We source the freshest ingredients from local suppliers of fruit, vegetables, baked goods, dairy, freshwater salmon and trout, wines, and a variety of handmade chocolate treats. These suppliers are all local, small-scale operations that in turn support their immediate communities.
- We have an incredible array of local artists on display throughout the hotel.
- We empower local entrepreneurs through outsourced services and suppliers.
- Our furniture and finishings throughout the hotel are sourced locally.
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
- We use energy-saving light bulbs.
- All showerheads have been replaced with certified water-saving attachments.
- We have removed all plastic bottles and straws.
- Succulents and astroturf are used on our rooftop to minimise water use.
- Restrictors have been fitted to all water outlets.
- Disposable napkins reduce laundry water consumption.
- Ice bucket water is reused for cleaning.
- Double glazed windows throughout the hotel means we use less energy for insulation.
- The air conditioning system utilises the central sea water cooling plant, reducing energy and water consumption.
- We provide training and internship programmes for students from local colleges and academies.
STAFF TRAINING & WELFARE
- We provide continuous training for staff members through various health & safety, first aid, fire safety, inter-department, inter-company, study assistance, business coaching, and purpose & value initiatives.
- We provide access for staff members to have an annual health check-up and contribute to every staff members’ Medical Aid.
- All Silo staff get the opportunity to regularly visit our other properties (La Residence – Franschoek, Birkenhead House in Hermanus and occasionally, Royal Malewane in The Kruger National Park) for lunch/dinner and/or overnight stays.