TRP Foundation » Other Sustainability Initiatives at The Silo
Other Sustainability Initiatives at The Silo
Apart from the wonderful community upliftment organisations The Silo supports, we are also committed to the following ongoing sustainability initiatives:
STIMULATING LOCAL BUSINESSES
- We source the freshest ingredients from local suppliers of fruit, vegetables, baked goods and diary, freshwater salmon and trout, wines, and a variety of handmade chocolate treats. These suppliers are all local, small-scale operations that in turn support their immediate communities.
- We have an incredible array of local artists on display throughout the hotel.
- We empower local entrepreneurs through outsourced services and suppliers.
- Furniture and finishing throughout the hotel are sourced locally.
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
- We use energy saving light bulbs.
- All showerheads have been replaced with certified water-saving attachments.
- We have removed all plastic bottles and straws.
- Succulents and astroturf are used on our rooftop to minimise water use.
- Restrictors have been fitted to all water outlets.
- Disposable napkins reduce laundry water consumption.
- Ice bucket water is reused for cleaning.
- Double glazed windows throughout the hotel means we use less energy for insulation.
- The air conditioning system utilises the central sea water cooling plant reducing energy and water consumption.
- We provide training and internship programes for students from local colleges and academies.
STAFF TRAINING & WELLFARE
- We provide continuous training for staff members through various health & safety, first aid, fire safety, inter-department, inter-company, study assistance, business coaching, and purpose & value initiatives.
- We provide access for staff members an annual health check up, and contribute to every staff members’ Medical Aid.
- All Silo staff get the opportunity to regularly visit our other properties (La Residence – Franschoek, Birkenhead House in Hermanus and occasionally, Royal Malewane in The Kruger National Park) for lunch/dinner and/or overnight stays.