TRP Foundation » Other Sustainability Initiatives at Birkenhead House
Other Sustainability Initiatives at Birkenhead House
Apart from the wonderful community upliftment organisations Birkenhead House supports, we are also committed to the following ongoing sustainability initiatives:
STIMULATING LOCAL BUSINESSES
- We source the freshest ingredients from local suppliers.
- We support local artists and showcase their work to international travelers throughout Birkenhead House.
- We empower local entrepreneurs through outsourced services and suppliers.
- Furniture and finishing throughout the hotel are sourced locally.
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
- All plastic water bottles and straws have been removed and replaced by biodegradable alternatives.
- All plastic gift packets have been replaced with environmentally friendly alternatives.
- The team at Birkenhead House enjoys taking part in our monthly beach clean-up.
- We provide training and internship programes for students from local colleges and academies.
STAFF TRAINING & WELLFARE
- We provide continuous training for staff members through various health & safety, first aid, fire safety, inter-department, inter-company, study assistance, business coaching, and purpose & value initiatives.
- We provide access for staff members an annual health check up, and contribute to every staff members’ Medical Aid.
- All Birkenhead House staff get the opportunity to regularly visit our other properties (La Residence in Franschoek, The Silo Hotel in Cape Town, and occasionally, Royal Malewane in The Kruger National Park) for lunch/dinner and/or overnight stays.