TRP Foundation » Sigagule Crèche
Since 2009 it has been our mission to create meaningful change in the lives of the children of the Sigagule Crèche, which is situated in the nearby village of Sigagule about 10kms from Royal Malewane. We felt it was important to help develop the space so that children could learn and have fun in a safe and healthy environment.
The Sigagule Crèche originally had 90 children who were crowded into one classroom that was only big enough for 30 children. They only received a grant from the government that was sufficient to feed only about 38 children. They also had no running water on the property and two primitive toilet facilities.
Originally the crèche only provided meals to the children, as well as basic daycare. In 2010 Royal Malewane implemented a special teacher-training program for the staff at the crèche (and for several other rural pre-schools in the immediate area), so that the children could receive an introductory education curriculum to prepare them for their early schooling years. The results have been amazing and the children have benefited immensely. The teachers are also evaluated on their teaching skills on a quarterly basis each year.
Today the crèche has approximately 130 children ranging in ages from infants of 6 months, up to children aged 6. This number usually increases to about 190 children by the end of each year.
Royal Malewane participates in the “Santa Shoe Box” project, which facilitates the giving of gifts to under-privileged children over the Festive Season. You can sponsor a Santa Shoebox for a child at R300.
In addition, Royal Malewane has, with the help of very generous donations from our guests and suppliers, been able to complete the following improvements at the crèche:
- Additional classrooms were built.
- Laying of water pipes to the newly built kitchen and two new toilet facilities.
- A jungle gym and play area was built.
- A vegetable garden was laid out and the staff at the crèche were instructed on the maintaining and tending of the garden which now supplies 80% of their vegetables used in the daily meal preparation for the children. Excess vegetables are sold to the community.
- Mattresses for naptime were bought as the children were sleeping on thin blankets or a mat on the concrete floor.
- A dining hall was built.
- A baby room was created for the younger children and babies.
- A borehole was sunk to alleviate the water issues experienced.
- Completion of the new additional toilets.
- Repainting of classrooms.
- 6 Tables and benches for the dining hall.
WISH LIST :
- A second larger garden for Sigagule Crèche with netting for cover – estimated costs R50,000
- Irrigation pipes for the garden – R15,000
- Seedlings – estimated costs R1,000 every few months
- Stationery per term – R1,000
- Shelving – R6,000
- Teacher training – R12,000 per quarter
- Graduation event each year – R5,000
- Tables and Chairs for Classrooms – R6,400
- Pedestal Fans for classrooms – R4,000 for all 4 classrooms.
- School Fees per child – R1,000 per year
- Santa Shoe Box – R300
100% of all donations received are put into the projects at the Crèche.
Should you wish to visit a local Crèche or make a donation please speak to the Royal Malewane management team. The transfer to the crèche is complimentary. Should you wish to take a gift with, we have gift packs of necessities available to purchase from our curio shop for your convenience.
Kindly note that there are no children at the crèche on weekends and school holidays or public holidays. If requested in advance we may be able to arrange for guests to view the crèche premises at the times when the school is closed.
Should you wish to learn more or make a donation please contact email@example.com