Frequently Asked Questions
What should I pack for my safari?
- Sun cream and insect repellent are always provided on game drives but you may like to bring your own if you have a personal preference
- Binoculars are available but your own set will allow you appreciate the beauty of the many birds that can be seen on drives, and also enjoy close up views of the game
- A small compact camera will be fine for taking photographs; a digital SLR with interchangeable lenses is recommended for longer range pictures, birds and close-ups
- For game drives, neutral colours are recommended (khaki, beige, green, stone, denim blue, black). Bright colours (pink, red, purple, yellow, white) are best avoided
- Waterproof jackets are advisable for stays from September to April as there may be rain. Rain ponchos and blankets are provided on game drive vehicles but you may wish to bring a little extra protection
- Gloves, a warm hat, warm jackets or fleeces are recommended from April to August as it can get cold on game drives in the early morning and late evening (though not usually wet at this time of year)
- For bush walks, bring comfortable walking shoes and long trousers, as grass may be wet due to morning dew in summer
- A hat is recommended on game drives, along with sunglasses to protect your eyes from the strong African sun
- The dress code around the lodge is informal but you may like to dress up for dinner, bearing in mind that temperatures can drop at night so an extra layer might be a good idea
There is a small curio shop at Royal Malewane that sells clothing, hats, caps, batteries, sun cream and other essentials, so don’t panic if you forget to pack something.
When is the best time of year to go on Safari?
The best time of year to visit Royal Malewane depends very much on your preferences. There is something wonderful about experiencing nature in different seasons and a magical sighting is possible at any time of year,
The summer months (October to February) see more rain which means there are more insects about. Temperatures can be extremely hot. The bush is verdant and the grass is longer which makes game viewing trickier.
Game vehicles are not driven off road if more than 25mm of rain has been experienced in order to protect the environment. But for bird lovers, there are many more birds to see at this time of year as well as all the migrant species, and the bush itself is alive with sounds of crickets, frogs and birds. There are also many baby animals born around this time which can be the highlight of a game drive.
The winter months (May, June, July and August) are a great time for good game viewing as the bush is quieter, drier and more open. Animals tend to congregate around watering holes. Temperatures are more moderate, you are more likely to be able to go off road for close-up viewing and there are fewer insects.
Do I need to take anti-malaria precautions?
Royal Malewane is in a low risk malaria. We do however recommend that you consult your GP or a travel clinic before your stay in order to decide whether to take a prophylactic.
What is the weather like in the Kruger National Park?
Temperatures in summer (from October to end of February) can reach between 16°C (61°F) after a rainy cold front and climb up to a scorching 40°C (104°F) on a really hot day.
Temperatures in winter (from May through to the end of August) can be as low as 0°C (32°F) on the morning game drives and climb up to a comfortable 18°C (64°F) by lunch time.
The Kruger National Park is situated in South Africa’s lowveld which experiences summer rainfall and very occasional winter rainfall.
Is there a gym at Royal Malewane?
Yes, there is a fully equipped and spacious gym in the Waters of Royal Malewane Bush Spa.
Is there WiFi at Royal Malewane?
Yes, there is complimentary WiFi throughout Royal Malewane.
What is included in the rates at Royal Malewane?
The rates at Royal Malewane are all-inclusive which means that all your meals, game drives, soft-drinks, wines, beers and spirits are included, as well as the mini-bar in your room. There is complimentary wifi throughout Royal Malewane. The only things for which we charge extra are:
- Purchases in the curio shop
- Spa treatments
- Private game drive vehicles (unless staying in the Royal Suites or Africa House)
- Kosher services
- External phone calls
- External activities and day tours
- Transfers to and from Royal Malewane
Are children allowed on safari at Royal Malewane?
Children over 10 are welcome in the Luxury Suites, unless all 6 Luxury Suites are booked for exclusive use in which case children of all ages are welcome. Children of all ages are welcome in the Royal Suites and at Africa House.
We have a wonderful children’s programme at Royal Malewane and our team is well trained to ensure the safety of your family while on safari.
What are the check-in/check-out times at Royal Malewane?
Check-out is at 11am and check-in is at 2pm.
How big is Royal Malewane?
Royal Malewane is located in the Thornybush Private Game Reserve and enjoys traversing rights over all 16,000 hectares of the reserve.
What is the closest airport to Royal Malewane?
Hoedspruit is the closest airport and is a 45 minute drive from the lodge with direct flights from Johannesburg and Cape Town. Royal Malewane also has its own private landing strip called Jackalberry Airstrip.